Tenure Track Professorships for ERC Starting Grantees
LMU aims at creating favorable conditions for world-class academics. To provide outstanding junior researchers in all subject areas with a long-term career perspective, LMU offers the possibility of Tenure Track Professorships (W 2) to successful Starting Grantees of the European Research Council (for candidates 2-7 years after their PhD) with LMU as host institution.
If you intend to submit (Call ERC-2019-StG) or have submitted (Call ERC-2018-StG) a proposal for a Starting Grant to the European Research Council and are interested in joining LMU’s research community, please contact the appropriate faculty member in your field of research as soon as possible.
Link to the open ERC-2019-StG call: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/erc-2019-stg.html
Requirements for an ERC Starting Grant application:
- 2-7 years of experience after the PhD (exceptions for medical scholars, parental leave etc.)
- excellent track record (e.g. significant publications, third party funding)
- international experience preferred
- ground-breaking, highly innovative, but feasible project
Requirements for the professorship (W2 tenure track) and recruitment procedure:
- LMU offers the possibility of Tenure Track Professorships (W 2) to successful applicants for ERC Starting Grants (Calls ERC-2019-StG, ERC-2018-StG) who sign their first Grant Agreement with LMU Munich as host institution.
- The appointment requires the successful completion of a selection procedure (analogous to standard faculty appointments) by the respective Faculty.
- As a first step, interested candidates are requested to get in touch with a member of the appropriate LMU Faculty. Preferably you have already been in scientific contact with the respective faculty member. For further information on LMU’s Faculties and their members, please consult the Faculty websites.
- On initiative of one of its members, the respective Faculty starts a selection procedure for the appointment to the Tenure Track Professorship (W 2) after the ERC application is approved for the second stage of the evaluation process.
- The initial appointment will be for five years, beginning with the conclusion of the grant agreement at the earliest. After a minimum of three years, the appointment can be converted into a permanent position depending on positive evaluation of the candidate’s performance in research and teaching if all legal conditions are met.
- LMU is an equal opportunity employer and intends to enhance the diversity of its faculty members. Furthermore, LMU provides newly appointed professors with various types of support, such as welcoming services and assistance for dual-career couples.
If you intend to apply with LMU for an ERC Starting Grant and are supported by a LMU faculty member, LMU can provide assistance for the preparation of your ERC grant proposal.
Dr. Lisanne Sauerwald
Unit for Research Funding (VIII.3)
Team Lead International Research Funding Programs
Phone: +49 89 / 2180-72285