Working at LMU
Once you have received your proof of registration, residence permit and work permit; you will need to collect additional documentation to be submitted to the LMU Human Resources Department in order to start working in Munich.
Please find below a list of commonly asked questions:
- Where may I obtain a Police Clearance Certificate?
- Where may I obtain a Household Certificate?
- Do I need to apply for a Tax-ID Number (TIN) (Steueridentifikationsnummer)
- Who issues the certificates for employment tax deductions?
- Do I need a Social Security Card?
- What government benefits are included in the social security system?
After registering at the Bürgerbüro, you may immediately apply for your police clearance certificate (DE), also known as a certificate of good conduct. The certificate of good conduct confirms whether the person has a criminal record or not. If the clearance certificate is for personal purposes, it will be sent to your home address. A clearance certificate for authorities is to be submitted directly to that authority or employer, in your case, directly to the HR department at the LMU.
The household certificate (DE) is an official document listing all persons registered and living in a household. This certificate is usually required for other agencies, for example, when you apply for child allowance (Kindergeld).
You need a Tax ID number for the purposes of taxation, health care and government benefits.
Your employer needs your Tax ID number before your first salary payment. This should not be neglected; otherwise, you will be taxed at the maximum rate possible and will not be able to claim any tax back.
All individuals receive an 11-digit tax identification number to ensure their unique identification in the tax system. It will remain a lifetime number and does not contain any information about you or your tax affairs.
About two weeks after you register in Munich, you will get the notification letter by mail with your TIN.top
Once you have received your TIN through the mail, you should turn to the local Finanzamt (Revenue Office) and fill out an application to issue a certificate for employment tax deductions (Antrag auf Ausstellung einer Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug). Please refer to following link to find this document as well as other documents related to taxation (DE). In cases of families, your partner must complete this process as well. If you have children, please decide on who should get the benefit of paying a lower tax rate.
Finanzamt München, Servicestelle (DE); Deroystraße 6, 80335 München; Tel +49(0)89 1252-0
Office hours: Monday-Wednesday: 07:30am-4:00pm, Thursday: 07:30am-4:00pm, Friday: 07:30am-12:30pm
For more detailed information, please refer to the website of Euraxess.
Entry into the social insurance system is achieved through your statutory health insurance provider (not applicable to civil servants). Once you have chosen a statutory health insurance company you should provide your employer confirmation of your membership; then your employer arranges your registration with the health insurance provider selected. This means you are also automatically registered in the long-term care insurance scheme. The health insurance provider also arranges registration for unemployment and pension insurance.
The Deutsche Rentenversicherung will be in charge of the issuance of your social security card and will send it to you by mail.
German social security consists of 5 parts and offers financial protection against the major risks in life.
Overview of the social security system:
- Statutory unemployment insurance guarantees basic existential security in the event of unemployment
- Statutory pension insurance provides security for members in their old age, for members in the event of being unable to exercise their profession and to those left behind in the event of their death
- Statutory health insurance supports the maintenance and restoration of health and lessens the impact of illness
- Statutory accident insurance restores the earning capacity in the event of a work-related accident
- Statutory long-term care insurance provides financial support to people requiring long-term care