Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Preparations in your home country

If you are a citizen of an EU or EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) country, you do not need a visa to enter Germany. It is sufficient to register your address at the Foreign Residents’ Office or Registration Office upon arrival. If you are a citizen of another country, you will need a visa. LMU will issue an invitation letter for you to apply for a visa at the German embassy in your home country before departure. You should inquire at the German embassy or consulate in your home country about rules for entering Germany and the application process for a multiple-entry visa that permits a longer stay and that includes, where applicable, your spouse or children. The visa you receive for Germany also grants freedom of travel throughout the entire European Union. Keep in mind, though, that a visa is not a residence permit, which must be applied for separately once you arrive here (see our page on legal requirements for more information).

Non-EU or -EEA citizens also need a work permit. You can obtain one without difficulty because you will be paid by an EU institution, but you must apply in advance in order to include it, as required, with your visa application. Your host institute here will arrange for your work permit, if necessary with the support of the International Office.

Before you come to Germany, you should ask your contact at your host institute about a central university contact. In general, this is the International Office at LMU Munich. Independent research facilities usually have similar offices. They are in charge of assisting visiting international scholars, informing them of their employment status at the university or their host institute, and helping with matters like housing.

You should also be sure to ask in advance about whether the personnel office needs any documents or papers from home which you must gather to bring with you. In general the office only needs your residence permit and tax card, which you obtain here, but you may also need to supply diplomas or similar documents (or notarized copies of them).

For more detailed information on visas and requirements for entering the country visit EURAXESS Germany. EURAXESS has also prepared a helpful checklist of things you need to take care of before leaving home, such as arranging for an entry visa or health insurance, and during your first few days in Germany.


Responsible for content: International Office