General application information
For those fields of study with restricted admissions, so-called numerus clausus subjects, the general application deadlines are binding. (Deadlines may vary for fields of study with unrestricted admissions, so-called free subjects.)
Application deadline for the winter semester: July 15
Application deadline for the summer semester: January 15
To find out if the subject you wish to study requires a special entrance exam (Eignungsfeststellungsprüfung), contact the respective institute.
Applying for admission
Citizens of non-EU countries applying for admission to fields of study without restricted admissions must come by the International Office at LMU before January 15 or July 15 to have all application documents reviewed in advance. You will not be admitted to the university with missing or incorrect documentation after the deadline.
Counseling and information
Frau A. Ludwig, Frau H. Wolf, Phone: +49 (0)89 / 2180-3156
Frau M. Scherer, Frau K. Sommer, Phone: +49 (0)89 / 2180-3743
All e-mail inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Marriage certificate or official name change document, if applicable
• An officially certified copy of your original university qualifying document (this may also be a combination of documents) in the language of your home country
• An officially certified German translation of that qualifying document (Originals in English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Swedish, and Latin don’t have to be translated.)
• Officially certified copies of all prior university certificates, diplomas, and qualifying examination certificates (For guidelines on providing complete and correct certifications and translations, see our information on translations & certifications.)
• Notification of transcript recognition (Annerkennungsbescheid) from the Bavarian Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle (State Office for the Recognition of Foreign Qualifications), Pündterplatz 5, 80803 Munich, Phone: +49 (0)89 / 38 38 49 - 0, is mandatory for persons with an International Baccalaureate (IB), applicants from the USA (unless they have already completed a Bachelor degree), and applicants from Afghanistan, Cameroon, Georgia, and Mongolia. Applicants from the People’s Republic of China must submit the original certificate from the Akademische Prüfstelle bei der Deutschen Botschaft in Beijing. The International Office also reserves the right to require notification from the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle in other individual cases.
• Proof of any prior study at a German university or a university in your home country
• Course recognition certification from the relevant examination office (Prüfungsamt) for admission to a higher semester or graduate studies
• A CV / résumé up to the date of application
• An original statement of intent, written in German (not necessary for Master and Phd)
• Proof of all completed coursework when applying for a change of majors or schools: Applications for a change of major or school cannot be considered without previously completed coursework.
• Proof of German language proficiency