Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


German proficiency and German language courses

In order to study at the LMU, you will need to furnish evidence that you are proficient in German (exception: Masters degree programs and doctoral programs which are taught in English).

The following certificates are accepted as proof of proficiency for registration:

  • DSH 2: Certificate stating that you have passed the LMU German language test for university admission for international students. More information: German courses at Munich University
  • TestDaF level 4: "German as a Foreign Language" test, level 4 in all sections. If you fail to reach level 4 in any of the sections, we regret that we cannot accept the test.
  • The European language certificate: telc German C1 University
  • German language diploma of Kultusministerkonferenz - second level (DSD II)
  • German language test II by the Munich Institute of Languages and Interpreters
  • Goethe Certificate C2: GDS from the Goethe Institute (after 2012)
  • Minor/major language diploma or ZOP from the Goethe Institute (before 12/2011)
  • Leaving certificate from an institute of higher education in Germany (at least to grammar school, preparatory college, university of applied sciences, or university level)

Subsequent submission of language proficiency proof:

If you only reached B2 level, you still may apply for non-restricted subjects, in certain cases:

1. Non-EU citizens applying for a subject with admission restrictions

You must submit one of the above certificates by the closing date for applications (July 15 / January 15). We cannot accept subsequent submissions!

2. Non-EU citizens applying for a subject without admission restrictions

If you are not an EU citizen and you are applying to study a subject without admission restrictions but have not yet obtained a language diploma, you can furnish evidence of your proficiency in German by signing up for an intensive German language course:

  • you will have to reach at least B2 level of the European reference guidelines in order to qualify (please note: without this certificate, your application will be rejected!)
  • German language schools abroad have to be certified by the Goethe-Institut.
  • If you have completed an intensive German course, you must have done so within six months of the end of the closing date for applications (Jan 15 / Jul 15, respectively).
  • This certification confirms your level of learning at the time of your application. You must pass the DSH 2 language test (or obtain one of the other certificates, see above list) before you register. Studying German at a university abroad does not class as evidence of proficiency in German!

3. EU citizens applying for a subject without admission restrictions

EU citizens who have not acquired a language diploma must furnish evidence of having passed the DSH 2 language test (or one of the other certificates, see above list) by the time they register.

Find here information on German Courses and Foreign Languages

Go back to Application for admission for international applicants

Responsible for content: International Office