Guide for applying for a master's degree program (international applicants)
Contact for international applicants:
|International Office of LMU
Ludwigstr. 27, 80539 München
Rooms G 020 and G 024
|Coordination units of the Master's Programs:
Contact information of the degree programs
can be found on the degree program websites:
Important: International applicants who wish to embark on a master's degree program at the LMU must apply/register for the course concurrently (separately) both to the respective institute/master degree program and to the International Office. Different deadlines may apply.
Please note: The documents you will need to provide to the coordinator of the master’s degree program will also be required when you register in the International Office.
Four steps for international applicants wishing to pursue a master's degree:
1. Apply to the respective institute for admission to the master's degree program
Please refer to the respective master’s degree program to find out about application procedures, and submit your completed application to the program coordinator. The requirements and documents you will need to submit with your application differ widely from program to program, as do also the deadlines.
If the coordinator of your chosen master's degree program accepts your application, he or she will issue you a letter of acceptance for the master's degree program. Please submit a copy of this letter when you apply / register at the International Office.
2. Applying at the International Office
Please apply simultaneously at the LMU International Office (deadline for registering for the summer semester: January 15 / for the winter semester: July 15). In order to register, you will need to meet all the general application formalities. You will also need to have completed and printed out the online application form.
You will need to submit the following documents when you apply in the International Office (by post or in person):
- Completed application form
- All higher education / university certificates and diplomas and all transcripts of records
- in the original language – as officially certified copies
- and with officially certified translation where applicable. Certificates in English, French, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Latin, Portuguese and Rumanian do not have to be translated.
- Registration and confirmation of programs previously studied at any other German university
- Letter of admission for the master's degree program from the coordinator of the degree program (can be handed in later during registration)
- Updated CV
- Evidence of proficiency in German: please refer to the general regulations on proficiency in German. Exception: master's degree programs and double degree programs in which the course language is English. Please ask the coordinator of your master's degree program whether any special regulations apply to your course with regard to the German language test.
- Where applicable, marriage certificate / official proof of change of name
Report / letter of recommendation or work experience references are not required when registering in the International Office.
For country-specific requirements (e.g. APS certificate), please refer to the detailed application information.
3. Receiving an official letter of acceptance from the International Office
The letter of acceptance is an important official document which you will need to show the authorities, and which you will need in order to register at the LMU. The International Office will send you the letter of acceptance by e-mail. Its validity is conditional on passing the German language test (exception: English-speaking master’s degree programs and double degree programs) and acceptance on the master’s degree program of your choice.
4. Registering at the International Office
Once you have a letter of acceptance, you must register before the deadline. When you come to register, please bring all the documents listed on the letter of acceptance! See here for more information on registering as an international applicant.