FAQ - Current Status of Application
You have a question concerning the current state of your application, or concerning your subsequent registration at the LMU? Please note that due to the large number of emails we receive, we are not always able to respond immediately. We regret that there may be a delay in answering your email.
The following list contains some of the most commonly asked questions. You may find the answer you’re looking for here!
FAQ—State of application and registration (international students)
1. I submitted an application to study at the LMU, but have not yet received a letter of admission. When will I hear back to know whether or not I have been accepted?
First, please check which address you detailed on your application form for admission, and whether this is still valid. We send the letter of admission via e-mail or the rejection notification via post-mail to the address you provide on the application form.
For degree programs which do not have admission restrictions, you can submit documents (leaving certificates etc.) up until February 20, 2020.
If you have not heard back from us by March 2, 2020, either with a letter of admission or notification of rejection, please send us an email. In the subject line, write “No letter received—please check”, include your name, date of birth and desired degree program, and send to email@example.com.
2. The deadline for the 2020 summer semester ended on 01/15/2020. Can exceptions be made for submitting an application after the deadline?
Yes. If the following apply to you, you may submit your completed application up until February 20, 2020:
- You have successfully completed the pre-registration process or academic advising and orientation for your desired degree program.
- You have successfully completed the aptitude test for your desired degree program.
- You have been accepted for a masters degree program.
Please note: Applications for doctoral programs can be submitted until April 20, 2020. For more information, please see FAQ 4.
3. I applied via hochschulstart.de and was accepted. What should I do next?
Your foreign qualifications / certificates will be assessed by the International Office during registration procedure.
- Next step: Registration - more information
4. I have received a letter of admission. When and how do I register?
You must register in person at the International Office during the prescribed registration period.
For the exact dates, please refer to your letter of acceptance; these may deviate slightly from the dates given below. The general registration periods in the International Office for the 2020 summersemester are as follows:
Registration for all degree programs without admission restrictions:
March 17 - March 26, 2020, 8:30am - 10am
Registration for degree courses which are subject to admission restrictions (numerus clausus):
March 16, 2020, 8:30am - 10am
Additional registration days for master degree programs and doctoral programs:
Every Tuesday and Thursday from March 31 to April 9 and from April 21 to April 30, 2020, 9am – 10am
When you come to register, please remember to bring your letter of acceptance, your original certificates and all other documents listed on your letter of acceptance!
There are four steps to the registration process, and you must complete them in person.
- First: Online registration
- Step 1: Go to the pre-check in room F 107, where we will match your details with your online registration, and check your letter of acceptance and your health insurance
- Step 2: Submit all your documents in the reception area in front of room G 018
- Step 3: Your original certificate and any additional documents will be checked
- Step 4: You will be handed further information on studying at the LMU: Paying your semester fee, applying for the LMUcard (Student ID Card), activating your personal LMU-user identification.
5. When I apply for a student visa, how can I prove that I have been offered a place at the LMU?
With the letter of admission issued by the International Office. This letter is accepted by all embassies as proof when you apply for a student visa.
6. I cannot attend in person during the stated registration period. What should I do? Can I authorize someone to register on my behalf?
No. In certain exceptional cases (an extended waiting period after applying for a visa) you may be allowed to register in person at a later date. However, this applies only to bachelor degree programs which are not subject to admission restrictions. To register later, please send us an e-mail, briefly stating your reasons for late registration, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following subject line for your e-mail: “Application for late registration”.
In your e-mail, state your name, date of birth, registration number, and the degree program for which you have been accepted (these details are included on your letter of acceptance).
Please note that the registration period for master degree programs and doctoral programs is longer (see FAQ 4).
7. I have received notification of rejection. However, I would definitely like to study at the LMU in the 2020 summer semester. What can I do?
The reason for the rejection of your application is stated in the notification you received. If you were rejected because you did not submit all the required documents, you can submit certificates up until February 20, 2020 for degree programs which are not subject to admission restrictions. Once you have submitted all the necessary documents which entitle you to study at the LMU, we will immediately send you a letter of admission.
8. I have received final notification of rejection. What happens now to the documents and certificates I submitted? Do I get them back?
Yes. Three months after the deadline for applications, you can collect your documents personally, or send a representative to collect them (with a letter of authorisation from yourself). Please come to room G 018 (Ludwigstr. 27, Munich, ground floor). Contact to the International Admissions Department.
In the event of rejection, we will destroy all documents pertaining to the application after 12 months, in accordance with data protection regulations.
There is the possibility to authorize another person to collect your documents: authorization
9. How and where can I find out more about studying at the LMU? Do you host information sessions?
Yes. When you register in person, you will be given more information on introductory courses (held in German and in English). You can also view events on the International Office website:
Thursday, April 2, 2020, 2pm - 5.30pm: Welcome day for international students (degree students).
10. I still have questions. Who can assist me?
If you have further questions, please send an e-mail with your question(s) to email@example.com and confirm that you have read the FAQs above.
If you wish to contact us in person or by phone:
Contact and opening hours of the International Admissions Department in the International Office
11. What is the application period for the next semester?
International Office application period: for the summer semester from November till January 15th; for the winter semester from May till July 15th – please do not send any application outside of this period because your application will not be processed before and otherwise they are not up-to-date.