FAQ - Current Status of Application
You have a question concerning the current state of your application, or concerning your subsequent registration at the LMU? Please note that due to the large number of emails we receive, we are not always able to respond immediately. We regret that there may be a delay in answering your email.
The following list contains some of the most commonly asked questions. You may find the answer you’re looking for here!
FAQ—State of application and registration (international students) SS 2018
1. I submitted an application to study at the LMU, but have not yet received a letter of acceptance. When will I hear back to know whether or not I have been accepted?
First, please check which address you detailed on your application form for admission, and whether this is still valid. We send the letter of admission or the rejection notification by post to the address you provide on the application form.
For degree programs which do not have admission restrictions, you can submit documents (leaving certificates etc.) up until February 15, 2018.
If you have not heard back from us by March 1, 2018, either with a letter of acceptance or notification of rejection, please send us an email. In the subject line, write “No letter received—please check”, include your name, date of birth and desired degree program, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. I submitted an application to study at LMU, but have not yet received a letter of acceptance.The deadline for the 2018 summer semester ended on 01/15/2018. Can exceptions be made for submitting an application after the deadline?
Yes. If the following apply to you, you may submit your completed application up until 02/15/2018:
- You have successfully completed the pre-registration process for your desired degree program.
- You have successfully completed the aptitude test for your desired degree program.
- You have been accepted for a masters degree program.
Please note: Applications for doctoral programs can be submitted until 04/19/2018. For more information, please see FAQ 4.
3. I applied via hochschulstart.de and was accepted. What should I do next?
Come to the office during the times stated here so that we can assess your qualifications:
- Feb 5 - April 26, 2018: Mon-Wed 9am - 11am, Thu 1:30pm - 3pm
Ludwigstr. 27, ground floor (nearest tram station: Universität)
Please bring with you the following documents:
- Letter of acceptance
- Original certificate
- Original translation of certificate (if required)
- Proof of German language proficiency (if required)
4. I have received a letter of acceptance. When and how do I register?
You must register in person at the International Office during the prescribed registration period.
For the exact dates, please refer to your letter of acceptance; these may deviate slightly from the dates given below. The general registration periods in the International Office for the 2017/18 winter semester are as follows:
Registration for all degree programs without admission restrictions:
March 7 - 20, 2018, 8:30am - 10am
Registration for degree courses which are subject to admission restrictions (numerus clausus):
March 6, 2018, 8:30am - 10am
Additional registration days for master degree programs and doctoral programs:
March 27, March 29 and every Tuesday and Thursday from April 10 - 26, 2018, 9am – 10am
When you come to register, please remember to bring your letter of acceptance, your original certificates and all other documents listed on your letter of acceptance!
There are four steps to the registration process, and you must complete them in person.
- First: Online registration
- Step 1: Go to the pre-check in room F 007, where we will match your details with your online registration, and check your letter of acceptance and your health insurance
- Step 2: Submit all your documents in the reception area in front of room G 018
- Step 3: Your original certificate and any additional documents will be checked
- Step 4: You will be handed your official student documents and further information on studying at the LMU
5. When I apply for a student visa, how can I prove that I have been offered a place at the LMU?
With the letter of acceptance issued by the International Office. This letter is accepted by all embassies as proof when you apply for a student visa.
6. I cannot attend in person during the stated registration period. What should I do? Can I authorize someone to register on my behalf?
No. In certain exceptional cases (e.g., an extended waiting period after applying for a visa) you may be allowed to register in person at a later date. However, this applies only to bachelor degree programs which are not subject to admission restrictions. To register later, please send us an e-mail, briefly stating your reasons for late registration, to email@example.com. Please use the following subject line for your e-mail: “Application for late registration”.
In your e-mail, state your name, date of birth, registration number, and the degree program for which you have been accepted (these details are included on your letter of acceptance).
Please note that the registration period for master degree programs and doctoral programs is longer (see FAQ 4).
7. I have received notification of rejection. However, I would definitely like to study at the LMU in the 2018 summer semester. What can I do?
The reason for the rejection of your application is stated in the notification you received. If you were rejected because you did not submit all the required documents, you can submit certificates up until February 15, 2018 for degree programs which are not subject to admission restrictions. Once you have submitted all the necessary documents which entitle you to study at the LMU, we will immediately send you a letter of acceptance.
8. I have received final notification of rejection. What happens now to the documents and certificates I submitted? Do I get them back?
Yes. Three months after the deadline for applications, you can collect your documents personally, or send a representative to collect them (with a letter of authorisation from yourself). Please come to room G 018 (Ludwigstr. 27, Munich, ground floor). Contact to the International Admissions Department.
We regret that we are unable to return documents by post. In the event of rejection, we will destroy all documents pertaining to the application after 12 months, in accordance with data protection regulations.
There is the possibility to authorize another person to collect your documents: authorization
9. How and where can I find out more about studying at the LMU? Do you host information sessions?
Yes. When you register in person, you will be given more information on introductory courses (held in German and in English) and on events hosted during the semester. You can also view events on the International Office website.
April 6, 2018, 2pm - 6pm: Introductory courses for international students (degree students).
10. I still have questions. Who can assist me?
If you have further questions, please send an e-mail with your question(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm that you have read the FAQs above.
If you wish to contact us in person or by phone:
Contact and opening hours of the International Admissions Department in the International Office