Master programs were introduced as part of the Bologna Process to establish uniform courses of study and degrees throughout Europe. A Bachelor degree is required to enroll in a Master degree program. The study units in the Master programs are divided into modules consisting of thematically related lectures, seminars, and practical exercises. For each successfully completed module, a student earns credits based on the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
Students of law, medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, and teacher education must take a State Examination (Staatsexamen). The curricula of these programs are structured differently and usually take ten to twelve semesters. They are only offered in German. For further information, please visit the respective German websites.
The majority of LMU's Master programs are taught entirely in German and require an excellent knowledge of the German language. Here is a list of all German Master Programs.
LMU also offers a growing number of English taught Master Programs for international students and for German students pursuing an international career. Applicants for one of the following programs must prove excellent English proficiency.
- American History, Culture and Society
- Data Science
- English Studies
- Evolution, Ecology and Systematics
- Geo- and Paleobiology
- Geomaterials and Geochemistry
- Human Biology - Principles of Health and Disease
- Insurance, Executive Master
- Logic and Philosophy of Science
- Management (European Triple Degree, s. unten)
- Media, Management and Digital Technologies
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Neuro-cognitive Psychology
- Plant Sciences
- Psychology Master's Program in the Learning Sciences
- Quantitative Economics
- Software Engineering
- Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
LMU has established several double degree programs with partner universities worldwide to foster mobility and exchange. These allow students to study at and be awarded a degree from two or more universities. Here you get more information about Studying at LMU as a Double Degree Erasmus/Mundus Student.
- Integrierter Studiengang deutsch-französisches Recht (Double Master): LMU Munich + Université Panthéon Assas, Paris (France)
- Integrierter Studiengang Finanz- und Versicherungsmathematik (Triple Master): LMU Munich + Università degli studi di Bologna (Italy) + Université d'Èvry-Val d'Essonne (France)
- Integrierter Studiengang Politikwissenschaft (Double Master Degree Political Science): LMU Munich + Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (Spain), and LMU Munich + Stockholm University
- Deutsch-Französisches Masterprogramm Geschichtswissenschaft (Double Master Degree): LMU Munich + Université Paris 1, Panthéon Sorbonne (France)
- Psychology: Learning Sciences (Double Master Degree): LMU Munich + University of Twente (The Netherlands)
- Master of Science in Management - European Triple Degree (ETD): LMU Munich - emlyon business school (Lyon, France) - Lancaster University Management School (Lancaster, UK)
- LMU Munich is also a Partner of the following Erasmus Mundus Master Programs:
MAMASELF (Master Erasmus Mundus in Materials Science)
MEME - Erasmus Mundus Master Program in Evolutionary Biology