Important facts about housing
Student housing which is allocated by the International Office is part of a service package of the Studentenwerk. When you move into your accommodation you will be given a sleeping bag which you can keep. A special mentoring program will also be in place to help you settle in.
- You will be given an inventory for the room upon move-in. If the room is not to standard, you should discuss any issues with the housing administrator directly. If for some reason your room has not been cleaned, you should inform the “Hausmeister” immediately. During your rental period you are responsible for cleaning your room. With your flat mates, you are jointly responsible for cleaning the communal areas (kitchen, bathroom). The keys can be picked up in the administrative office of the residence, which is open Monday to Friday (see opening hours of the administrative offices).
- From September 1 or March 1 respectively you have one week of time to move into the assigned student accommodation. Should you plan to move in at a later date, you should inform both the residence administration and the International Office.
- It is not possible to move in on a Saturday, a Sunday, or a German public holiday (e.g. October 3). If arriving at the weekend or on a public holiday is unavoidable you will need to book an alternative accommodation for the duration until move-in is possible.
- The monthly rental payments will be debited from the provided bank account.
- You must either have a German bank account, or have a bank account in one of the following Eurozone countries: Austria (AT), Belgium (BE), Cyprus (CY), Estonia (EE), Finland (FI), France (F), Germany (DE), Greece (GR), Ireland (IE), Italy (I), Luxemburg (LU), Malta (MC), Monaco (MC), Netherlands (NL), Portugal (PT), Slovakia (SK), Slovenia (SI), or Spain (ES).
- Ensure that you always have enough in your bank account to cover the monthly rental payments. Remember that that the deposit will be debited with the first rental payment. Do not be afraid to talk to the staff of the international office or the Studentenwerk if you are having difficulties keeping up with the payments.
- Do not close your bank account before the final rental payment has been made. Your deposit does not count as a final rental payment!
- Before moving out, you should check that the room is in the same condition as at move-in. Any broken objects need to be repaired/replaced. The cost for any damage or cleaning will be deducted from the deposit.
Everyone needs to make an appointment with the “Hausmeister” to inspect and sign off the room prior to move-out.
Provide your home bank account number to the residence administration so that your deposit can be transferred. This can take up to three months.
A utilities invoice for your actual electricity and water consumption will be mailed. If the consumption happens to be lower than the flat rate for water and electricity stated in the rental contract, you will be given a rebate. If the consumption happens to be higher than the flat rate, the difference will be deducted from your deposit.