Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Housing for Exchange and Other Short-Term Students

There’s good news for exchange students! The Munich Student Union (Studentenwerk München) provides university housing for exchange students, and the International Office will largely handle the process for you. University housing is not guaranteed, but there are a number of additional resources to help you find private accommodations as well.

How to Apply:

The Studentenwerk cannot take special requests for rooms (single, private bathroom, etc.), and the International Office has no influence over the selection process, so it’s up to you to decide if the room is a good fit. If you don’t like your assigned room, you have to inform the International Office. Your next step is to look for private housing.

If you are not participating in one of the programs mentioned above, please read through the information on finding private accommodations. And remember, the earlier you start your search, the better chance you’ll have of finding a place that really meets your needs.

Important Info:

  • Housing for the winter semester must, as a rule, be rented for the exact period stated in the rental agreement.
  • The International Office will notify you about whether your housing application was successful or not by mid-July for the winter semester and by the end of January for the summer semester.
  • If you receive housing confirmation from the International Office, the Studentenwerk München will send you an email with the details of your new home. A document called an Annahmeerklärung will be attached to this email. You should sign and send this document back to the Studentenwerk München without delay to secure your spot.
  • If you don’t manage to get university housing, don’t worry! There are lots of online resources to find private housing as well as advisors from the Studentenwerk who can help you in person.