Program for PhD students and Postdocs
As part of the research cooperation with the University of California, Berkeley, PhD students and postdocs from LMU (faculties 1-2, 9-10, 12-13) can apply for funding of a research stay at the partner university. The researchers will have the opportunity to present their projects to the relevant reading groups/colloquia at UCB. Visits can be funded for up to three months for PhD students and six months for postdocs.
- Travel expenses up to €1100 (flight costs, transfer to/from the airport)
- Daily allowance (incl. accommodation) for a research stay of up to three months for doctoral students: max. €96 until day 14 of the stay at UCB and max. €72 thereafter
- Daily allowance (incl. accommodation) for a research stay of up to six months for postdocs: max. €128 until day 14 of the stay at UCB and max. €96 thereafter
- Visa and registration fees at UC Berkeley
- Research project in an advanced state
- Detailed information about the research context at UCB in which the project will be presented
- Contact with the appropriate professor at UCB
- LMU doctoral student or postdoc status at the time of application and during the research stay at UCB.
- Postdocs must be employed at the LMU.
- Short exposition of the research project as well as previous studies and research work relevant to the proposed project
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of recommendation by a professor at LMU
- Proof of existing contact with a professor at UCB in whose seminar the research project will be presented. If your contact person at UCB (primary collaborator) is not institutionally connected to the College of Letters & Science, you need to locate a co-collaborator (a second one) in the College of Letters & Science.
- Information on current financial support, employment status at LMU, etc. (please, fill out the following form in German, PDF 182 KB)
In addition to the qualifications of the applicant and his/her research project, it is important that the project will be received with interest at UCB – contacts with professors at UCB are therefore essential.
Please direct applications in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline for research visits in 2021 is May 18, 2020.
Dr. Anna Jakubowska
Tel. +49 89 / 2180-3972
Academic party responsible for the program:
Prof. Dr. Martin Schulze Wessel
Professor of Eastern European History