Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Residence Permit

Once you have arrived in Munich, you are required to register with the local authorities.

In Munich, the Registration Office (registration of your new residence) and the Foreigners Office (residence permit) are located in the same building at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR); therefore, it is possible to process both the registration and immigration steps within one day. Please note that there are different opening hours for both authorities.

Please find below a list of commonly asked questions:

  1. Where do I register?
  2. Why is it necessary to register at the Citizens Bureau?
  3. Where do I apply for my residence permit in Munich?
  4. What types of residence permits are available?
  5. What is the purpose of the eAT-card?
  6. May I interrupt my residence permit?
  7. Do I need to deregister?

1. Where do I register?

The Residence Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) is in charge of your registration and also provides registration certificates, police clearances (DE), household certificates (DE), and notarizations for authorities.

2. Why is it necessary to register at the Residence Registration Office?

In Germany, any person residing in a city, town or village for more than three months must register themselves within two weeks of moving into a new home.

It is then of absolute importance that you place your name on your letter box at your new residence, as your life-long tax-identification number will be sent to you by mail.

When you register, you will be asked about your church affiliation. If you are a member of the Catholic or Protestant church, you will automatically be submitted to pay German church tax.

If you happen to hold principle residency in a different city within Germany, please note that Munich claims a percentage of the annual basic rent for second home taxation.

According to Bavarian Registration Law, confirmation of your registration must be presented to your

3. Where do I apply for my residence permit in Munich?

Third country nationals and their families, must apply for their work and residence permits at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Amt für Ausländerangelegenheiten (Foreigners Office). The Service-Center for International Professionals or the Foreigners Office is in charge of issuing residence and work permits.

Please note that if you move to a Munich suburb, the local city hall (Rathaus) will be in charge of registration and the local district office (Landratsamt) will be in charge of issuing the relevant residence permit instead of the above mentioned authorities.

4. What types of residence permits are available?

Non-German and non-EU citizens may work in Germany only if the residence permit expressly allows this.

  • Aufenthaltserlaubnis (residence permit with time restriction)
  • EU Blue Card (settlement permit for highly qualified professionals with time restriction)
  • Niederlassungserlaubnis (settlement permit that gives you the right to work without time restriction)
  • Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG (permanent residence permit that gives you the right to work within the EU without time restriction; you may request this permit after legally living in Germany and contributing to the federal pension fund for a minimum of five years)

As a highly-qualified professional (Hochqualifizierter), you have the option to apply for a Niederlassungserlaubnis, an Aufenthaltserlaubnis or EU-Blue Card; depending on the length of your stay.


The following documents are normally required to apply for a residence permit:

  • Completed form Antrag auf Erteilung/Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance/Extension of a Residence Permit, available on the website of the Munich Foreigners Office 
  • Proof of residency registration
  • Valid passport
  • Confirmation of employment, salary and civil servant status where applicable
  • Statement from LMU concerning your unique qualification and/or special professional knowledge under the terms of article 19 of German Residency Law regarding highly qualified professionals.
  • Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications
  • Proof of health insurance (letter from health insurance company or presentation of your health insurance card)
  • A current biometric photo (passport size)

If your family is accompanying you, the following additional information is required:

  • Marriage certificate (certified or with apostil)
  • Birth certificates of children
  • Rental contract showing the size of the residence in square meters (12 m²/person minimum)
  • Statutory declaration of marriage

Your fingerprints and signature will be necessary upon application of a residence permit. If you were not required to have a visa upon entry to Germany, you will be given a Fiktion (temporary residence permit sheet mainly for your employer), as well as an Abholschein (claim ticket) with your reference number, which authorizes you to pick up your eAT-card in 4-6 weeks.

5. What is the purpose of the eAT-card?

The eAufenthaltstitel was introduced in order to implement uniform EU regulations by all member states of the European Union for residence permits for third-country nationals. According to these regulations, a separate document must be issued for each foreign resident, including infants and children.

6. May I interrupt my Residence Permit?

If you plan to interrupt your stay for more than 6 months, you do not necessarily need to deregister (deregistration cancels your residence permit). You may apply for a Wiedereinreisefrist (reentry time limit) for the duration of your stay outside Germany at the local foreigners office.

7. Do I need to deregister?

Once you plan to leave Germany indefinitely, please remember to deregister at your local registration office. It is especially important for third-country-nationals if planning to apply for another visa at a later date.

Back to Relocating to Munich