Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation



There are various requirements to be fulfilled, which depend upon your country of origin, before you can travel to Germany and work here. Please be advised, a visa is absolutely necessary under German Immigration Law (apart from exemptions).

Please find below a list of commonly asked questions:

  1. Do I need to apply for a visa?
  2. What kind of visa do I require?
  3. Where do I apply for a visa?
  4. Which documents are required for a visa application?

1. Do I need to apply for a visa?

EU citizens and citizens of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein do not need a visa to enter Germany and do not need to apply for a residence permit. However all Munich residents have to register. You can work in Germany at any time.

For citizens of all other countries: You will require an application for a residence permit that expressly allows you to work in Germany before you enter Germany.

Exceptions: Citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and Switzerland may apply for their residence permits after entering Germany without a D- visa (see question 2 below).

2. What kind of visa do I require?

Please take note that all visas are not the same!

A "Tourist visa or Schengen visa" cannot be converted into a “residence permit”. Please do not enter Germany with a tourist visa. It is very difficult to change the state of your visa afterwards;  therefore, you may be required to leave Germany again in order to do so. If you are planning to work during your stay, you are obliged to apply for a Type D visa prior to your entry into the Federal Republic of Germany.

3. Where do I apply for a visa?

Your visa must be issued before entering the country; therefore, you should apply in good time. The responsible body is the German Embassy or Consulate General in your country or the country of your residence, which can also provide you with further information on the application process.

You will find detailed information regarding countries whose citizens require/do not require visas to enter Germany on the website of the Federal Foreign

4. Which documents are required for a visa application?

If you are required a visa, you must apply for a visa for residence or research purposes at the German agency (embassy/consulate general) in your home country/country of residence.

The following documents are usually required:

  • Antrag auf Erteilung eines Visums für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Application for a visa for the Federal Republic of Germany, available at your German agency abroad or at
  • Confirmation from LMU of intended employment, including the commensurate salary
  • CV and copies of your university degree(s)
  • The address where you will be staying upon arrival
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Valid passport and biometric picture

If your partner or other family member is accompanying you or joining you at a later date, you will additionally require:

  • Proof of adequately-sized living quarters in Germany (12m² per person) in the form of a rental agreement including the size in square meters of the living quarters or an equivalent confirmation from the landlord
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Marriage certificate: A certified copy in German is required if you do not have an apostil (internationally legally recognized copy of your marriage certificate).
  • Children's birth certificates: A certified copy in German is required if you do not have an apostil (internationally legally recognized copy of one’s birth certificate).

It is highly recommended to properly complete all documents necessary for the application process and to provide translations of all documents in a language other than German for the convenience of the administrators involved.

Once you retrieve your passport with the newly added visa, please make sure that you have been given the correct visa.

Back to Relocating to Munich