Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Residence Permit




Quick Facts:

  • Before applying for a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) you need to obtain proof of your residence registration (Meldebescheinigung).
  • Non-EU citizens (also called third-country nationals) may work in Germany only if their residence permit expressly allows it
  • EU citizens do not require a residence or work permit. The same applies for citizens of Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein. Swiss citizens need to obtain a declaratory residence permit.
  • Please carefully read our section on Visa & Entry Requirements to find out which visa you need and if it can be converted into a residence permit

Applying for a Residence Permit

If you are a non-EU citizen, you have to apply for your residence permit as soon as possible at the Munich Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde) within the Department of Public Order (Kreisverwaltungsreferat/KVR) before your visa expires.

Types of residence permits

As a doctoral candidate, you are eligible for a temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis). Depending on whether you are coming to Germany based on a work contract, a scholarship, or for a short-term research stay, you need to apply for a different type of residence permit:

  • Employment: residence permit for employment purposes, which includes a work permit for a specific position. Usually valid for the duration of the contract. Can be extended if the contract is extended.
  • Studies: residence permit for educational purposes. Suitable if you have a scholarship or private funds, since you are only allowed to work for a maximum of 120 days/240 half days or as a student assistant at the university. Usually valid for two years. Can be extended until you finish your doctorate.
  • Research: residence permit for research purposes. Valid for the duration of your research project. Can be extended only if the research project is extended. Hosting agreement is required.

Documents required for your application

  • Completed application form
  • Valid passport
  • Biometric photograph
  • Valid visa for the purpose of doing your doctorate (if necessary)
  • Letter of acceptance as a doctoral candidate from the university
  • Confirmation from your supervisor including information on your dissertation topic, supervision agreement and expected duration of doctorate
  • University degree certificate, including a notarized German translation and a formal recognition (if necessary)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance
  • In case of employment: work contract including a description of your position OR a written confirmation of intended employment by your department
  • Proof of sufficient funds (salary, scholarship etc.)
  • Rental agreement

Further documents may be necessary in individual cases. A fee of about 100 € applies for the permit. You will be issued an electronic residence permit, which you should carry with you at all

Useful Links


Back to PHASE 2: First steps after arrival