Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Residence Permit


Quick Facts:teaser-quickfacts

  • Before applying for a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) you need to obtain proof of your residence registration (Meldebescheinigung).
  • Non-German and non-EU citizens may work in Germany only if their residence permit expressly allows this.
  • As an EU citizen you do not require a residence or work permit. The same applies for citizens of Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein.
  • Please carefully read our section Visa & Entry Requirements explaining which visa you need and if it can be converted into a residence permit.

Applying for a Residence Permit

Non-EU Citizens, also called third country nationals, must apply for their work and residence permit at the local Munich Foreigners Office within the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) in Munich. The Service-Center für internationale Fachkräfte is in charge of issuing your residence and work permit. Please click the previous link for the address and opening hours.

NOTE: Please note that if you move to a suburb of Munich, the local city hall (Rathaus) will be in charge of residence registration and the local district office (Landratsamt) will be in charge of issuing the relevant residence permit instead of the KVR within the city limits of Munich.

Main types of residence permits

  • Residence permit with time restriction (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)
  • EU Blue Card (residence permit for highly qualified professionals with time restriction)
  • Settlement permit that gives you the right to work without time restriction (Niederlassungserlaubnis)
  • Permanent residence permit that gives you the right to work within the EU without time restriction (Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG). You may request this permit after legally living in Germany for a minimum of five years.

NOTE: As a researcher and a highly-qualified professional (Hochqualifizierte/r), you have the option to apply for a Niederlassungserlaubnis, an Aufenthaltserlaubnis or EU-Blue Card depending on the length of your stay.


Required Documents for your Application

  • Completed application form for the issuance/extension of a residence permit (Antrag auf Erteilung/ Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels)
  • Proof of residence registration
  • Valid passport
  • Confirmation from LMU Munich of your intended employment as well as the commensurate salary and civil servant status where applicable
  • Statement from LMU Munich concerning your unique qualification and/or special professional knowledge under the terms of article 19 of German Residency Law
  • Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications
  • Proof of health insurance (letter from your health insurance company or presentation of your health insurance card)
  • A current biometric photo (passport size)


Information for Familiesteaser-families

If your partner or other family members are accompanying you or joining you at a later date, you will additionally require the following documents:

  • Proof of adequately-sized (minimum of 12m² per person) living space in Munich (rental agreement including the size in square meters of the living quarters or an equivalent confirmation from the landlord) when applying for the residence permit for your spouse and other family members
  • Proof of travel or health insurance
  • Marriage certificate (with apostil)
  • Children’s birth certificates (with apostil)
  • Proof of adequate income which proves you are able to provide for your family


Our Serviceteaser-ourservice

LMU Gateway is here to support you with any questions you may have related to your application for a residence permit. Please contact us as early as possible to make sure there is enough time for the application procedure.

We can help you with queries such as:

  • Do I even need a residence permit?
  • Which residence permit is the right one for me?
  • What requirements are there if I bring along my partner/family?
  • I am having trouble with my current application for a residence permit and I don't speak German.


Useful Linksteaser-usefullinks

For more detailed information about Germany's residence and work permit regulations, we have compiled some useful links below:


Back to PHASE 2: First steps after arrival