Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Residence Registration & Moving In


Quick Facts:

  • You are required to register with the local authorities within two weeks after your arrival to Munich.
  • For registration, you will require your landlord's written confirmation (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) that you are the tenant.
  • After registration, place your name on your letter box as your life-long Tax ID number will be sent to you by mail.
  • Make sure you understand your rental contract before signing and that you receive a handover protocol from your landlord when moving in.
  • Your landlord will ask you to pay a deposit for your rental property. Make sure you understand the conditions of this.

Residence Registration (Meldebescheinigung)

Within two weeks of your arrival to Munich, you are required to register with the local authorities. Depending on where you live, this will be either at the town hall (Rathaus) or, in bigger cities like Munich, at the Residence Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) within the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR). Any change of address must be reported there as well. You will receive a written confirmation of registration.

The Bürgerbüro also provides registration certificates, police clearances, household certificates, notarizations for authorities, and most other official documentation one may need to access or submit when relocating or starting a new job in Germany.

Please note that as of January 2019 you have to make an appointment with the Bürgerbüro prior to using their services. The easiest way to do so is online (DE). As slots tend to fill up quickly it is advisable to arrange an appointment as soon as possible. You can find more information on the website of the Residence Registration Office. A limited number of free appointments is also made available on a daily basis. The same applies for cancelled appointments. Therefore it is advisable to check for a sooner appointment from time to time.

You can check on the City of Munich's website to see if there is a registry office closer to your new address by entering your postal code.

NOTE: If you are a dog owner, please note that your dog will also need to be registered. Feel free to contact us for more information.

Required documents for registration

  • Valid passport or identification card
  • Filled in registration form with your signature
  • Written confirmation by your landlord or property owner (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)

These documents are available for download on the City of Munich's website.

NOTE: Remember to place your name on your letter box at your new residence, as your life-long tax-identification number will be sent to you via the Residence Registration Office by mail after registration.

When leaving Munich, it is important to de-register with the authorities. You will find more information on this topic in the section Leaving Munich.


Moving In

Below, we would like to point out the most important facts around moving into your new home:

  • Ask your landlord or the owner of the property to fill out the written confirmation for your tenancy (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung).
  • It is advisable to take out liability insurance as well as household insurance. In many cases, the landlord expects the tenant to have these.
  • Before signing a rental contract, please make sure you understand all terms and conditions.
  • During the handover process, you and your landlord will fill in or go through a handover protocol, which documents the state of the property at the time of the handover, any meter readings and how many keys were handed out for the property, for example. It is important that this document is filled in correctly as this will determine the amount of the deposit which will be paid back to you at the end of your contract. It can even be advisable to take photos of any damages in the apartment.
  • Make sure you receive a copy of the handover protocol as this is generally part of your rental contract.
  • You will be obliged to pay a deposit (usually amounting to 2-3 months' rent) to the landlord, which will be paid back at the end of your rental contract, according to the conditions stated in the contract.
  • Waste management in Germany has a very high standard with the objective to recycle where possible. The cost for waste collection is normally included in your utility costs (Nebenkosten) when renting a property. Every city district and municipality also has recycling stations (Wertstoffinseln) where residents can bring their plastic waste, cans and bottles, for example.

Registering with utility companies

  • Ask your landlord who will contact the utility companies to notify them of the change in tenant.
  • The utility companies must be informed and take the meter readings for electricity, gas and in some cases water.
  • There is a municipal provider in Munich (see on the City's website under section Energy supply) as well as a wide variety of other providers which you can compare using online portals and searching for the terms Stromtarif Preisvergleich.

Registering for telephone, internet services and TV

  • After you have registered your new address with the authorities, you will need to register for the Broadcasting License Fee (Rundfunkbeitrag, formerly GEZ). Every household in Germany must pay a fixed rate averaging to roughly 18 € a month for public television and radio broadcasting. Please visit the official website for more information on broadcasting fees and how to register your home.
  • There is a large number of different telecommunication providers, therefore it is important to first evaluate your needs (high speed internet, mobile phones included, TV included in the deal, services available near your home, etc.) and to compare the different offers before making a decision.
  • The City of Munich has provided information on municipal providers for your convenience.

NOTE: Please pay attention to the minimum contract terms and cancellation policies!

topInformation for Visiting Fellows

Anyone intending on staying in Germany for more than 3 months, needs to register with local authorities within two weeks after having arrived.


Information for Familiesteaser-families

Please remember that every single family member must be registered with the local authorities. 

Pregnant women and families with children with them can normally go to a separate helpdesk at the Residence Registration Office (KVR) and will also be given a number for waiting, but will be given priority treatment.


Our Serviceteaser-ourservice

LMU Gateway is here to support you with any questions you may have related to your registration or moving in general. We can help you with queries such as:

  • Where can I register in Munich? Where do I register if I live outside of the Munich city limits?
  • Do I need to make an appointment for registration?
  • What must I consider when moving into my new residence?
  • Where can I register with a utility provider? What options do I have?
  • How do I choose the right telecommunications provider for myself?


Useful Linksteaser-usefullinks

Residence Registration:
City of Munich (Registration & de-registration)

Moving In:
City of Munich (Moving)
Make-it-in-Germany (Looking for housing)
Work in Bavaria (Moving)
Work in Bavaria (Lease contract)


Back to PHASE 2: First steps after arrival