Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation





General Information: Accommodation 

The experience of moving to a new location - especially to a new country - is very exciting, though housing is always a main concern. Searching for a new home is often challenging, even overwhelming at times. Therefore, it is important to approach your search with an open mind, realizing that your new environment is somewhat different. Patience and the willingness to make compromises, as well as a sense of humor, are all important tools in making this experience an enjoyable adventure.

We recommend having a look at the following links, where you can find an interactive city map and webcam images of our beautiful City of Munich!

Please find below a list of commonly asked questions:

1. How can I find accommodation in Munich?

Online property portals are very useful when searching for an apartment, especially if you are not yet in Munich. Many properties on these sites are subject to an agency fee. To avoid such fees, search for Provisionsfreie Wohnungen. Please find below a list of websites that can aid you in your search. Since the majority of these sites are in German, we have prepared a list of useful abbreviations and vocabulary, as well as a short description of Munich's city districts.

Newspaper advertisements are a great source when looking for property in Munich. Here is a list of newspapers and times of when they publish classified sections. These advertisements can be found online, as well. Placing an advertisement has also proven to be successful.


2. Are there any apartments specifically for LMU staff?

  • LMU Munich Apartments - LMU Munich sometimes has a very limited number of apartments (DE) available for rent. LMU Gateway has more information available on how to apply for these properties when vacant.
  • Munich RE Property - Munich RE has also made some of their property available to university staff upon request. If you are interested in this option, please contact LMU Gateway for more information.
  • Civil Servants' Apartments (Staatsbedienstetenwohnungen) - All employees of the Free State of Bavaria have the opportunity to apply for a civil servants' apartment from the Wohnungsfürsorgestelle (DE) des Landesamtes für Finanzen. For more information on this option, refer to their website or contact LMU Gateway.
  • The Versicherungskammer Bayern rent out a large number of apartments in Bavaria and Munich. You can find a list of contact persons (DE) in the Munich area on their website.

3. Is short-term housing available?

Accommodation agencies, such as the ones listed below, can be used to find short term housing and are usually furnished. If they succeed in finding suitable accommodation, they charge a non-recurring fee determined by the service provider, which is usually based on the length of your stay.

4. Do I need additional insurance when renting an apartment?

Liability Insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung), which covers damage or personal injury due to your own negligence, is highly advisable. Household Insurance (Hausratversicherung) covers the contents of your home against cases of fire, water damage, vandalism, theft, hail etc. and is also recommended.

Back to Services


Site contents have been carefully researched; nevertheless, LMU Gateway cannot accept any liability for the accuracy and completeness of the information.