Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Finding housing

As in other major European cities, finding housing can be difficult and trying, especially near universities. In case you do not have the opportunity to look for an apartment or house before your departure, you should arrange for temporary housing, for example at a small hotel, for the first few weeks. If you are bringing family, we strongly advise finding an apartment in advance. There are several ways of looking for housing:

You can check the advertisements for rentals in one of the local newspapers (PDF, ca. 30 KB), both in the print and online editions. You can also place your own ad. The weekly Kurz und Fündig consists of classifieds in which people offer and look for all kinds of things. Look especially for ads announcing a Studentenzimmer (student room) or a Wohngemeinschaft, abbreviated as “WG” (shared apartment or house).

Very commonly, you also find adverts for rooms in WGs on bulletin boards (called schwarze Bretter) at various public places around the university (such as in front of the main cafeteria or in the halls of individual institutes). Here you can look for notices or put up your own. We also offer additional personal support and assistance.

Agents and listing offices

The most expensive way to find an apartment is to use the services of an agent. Their fee is usually two months' rent – only a good investment if you are planning a long-term stay. It is advisable only to enlist real estate agents who are members of the Ring Deutscher Makler (indicated by the token RDM in their name).

Like other university towns, Munich has offices that provide listings of furnished rooms or rooms in a WG available for short periods as well as of persons looking for such rooms. You can get addresses for these offices and websites from the International Office or your host institute.

Civil Servants’ Apartments

Staff at LMU Munich, in their capacity as employees of the Free State of Bavaria (applying to manual workers, salaried staff, and civil servants holding permanent contracts) also have the opportunity to apply for a civil servant’s apartment (Staatsbedienstetenwohnung) to the Wohnungsfürsorgestelle des Landesamtes für Finanzen (Accommodation Office of the State Financial Office, Munich Branch, Alexandrastr. 3, 80538 München, Tel.: 089 / 21 90 - 01).