Source: apops / Fotolia.com
You’re getting ready to say Gute Reise! In the midst of all the excitement, it’s important to prepare for your departure carefully. Trying to obtain necessary documents from your home country after you have arrived in Germany can be difficult and time-consuming.
In addition to doing some preliminary research on housing, we recommend you gather the following documents while still at home:
- A passport/identity card that is valid for the duration of your stay in Germany
- A student visa (or a visa for exchange), if necessary (check your local German consulate or embassy)
- Written confirmation of your health insurance coverage from your health insurance provider. This confirmation must include an itemized description of the illnesses and treatments covered and the monetary limits on such coverage (exception: EU-countries). Regulations vary, so take a look at the Insurance section for details.
- Proof of personal liability insurance (not required, but recommended)
- Proof of admission to your program at LMU
- All necessary documents for your registration at LMU
- Written confirmation that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself while in Germany (using bank statements, notarized letter of support, etc.)
- Roughly eight passport photos that you will use for your residence permit and other official documents