Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


How to Apply for the Residence Permit

If you are entering Germany with a student visa—and not with a visa for exchange purposes issued for one year—you’ll need to apply for your residence permit within three months of your arrival. You will have to bring a lot of documents, but don’t worry about handling all these bureaucratic things—from mid-September to mid-December there are student assistants on site (at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, KVR) hired by the International Offices of LMU and the Technical University of Munich to guide you through the process.

Since the KVR is generally really busy, we recommend that you get there when they open and bring along a fully charged smartphone or book, as there will almost certainly be a wait.

Residence Permit Checklist:

  • A completed form Antrag auf Erteilung bzw. Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels, which you can pick up in various languages at the Ausländerbehörde without having to stand in line, or download the PDF (German / English)
  • A valid passport
  • A valid student visa, if required
  • A passport photo (be aware that passport photo style in Germany may be different from that of your home country)
  • Proof of registration at LMU Munich (student ID)
  • Proof of health insurance (see insurance)
  • Confirmation of registration of your local address (Anmeldebestätigung)
  • The required fee (residence permit for more than one year: €110; renewal of a residence permit for more than three months: €80)
  • Proof of financial support or at least minimum adequate resources (Finanzierungsnachweis). The legal minimum rises each year but is about €8,000 per year. To find out the exact figure, please consult the respective pages of the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR). Forms of proof include:
    • Proof of a fellowship or scholarship awarded by a German organization or an organization recognized by the German authorities
    • A bank statement from a savings account indicating that you have funds in the amount of one year’s financial supportPresentation of a commitment to pay, or Verpflichtungserklärung (more information available at the KVR)
    • Presentation of a commitment to pay, or Verpflichtungserklärung (more information available at the KVR)