Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Residence Permit

Residence Permit
Source: fotohansel /

International students, except those from the EU and the EEA, are required to obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) to stay in Germany longer than three months. This is different than your student visa, and you will apply for the permit only after arriving in Munich and after enrolling at LMU. In most cases, all students with student visas will need to obtain a residence permit. Exchange students usually have a different type of visa and do not require a residence permit. If you're not sure if you need a residence permit, contact the German Embassy or German Consulate in your home country.

This permit is issued by the Foreign Resident Authority (Ausländerbehörde) in each community. In the City of Munich, the Ausländerbehörde is at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR).

If you are living in one of the 29 communities and cities in the greater Munich area (Landkreis München) you have to go to the Landratsamt München (District Office Munich) to get your residence permit.


If you’re from an EU or EEA country, you don’t need a residence permit. You just need to register your local address just like German citizens.

Other International Students

After you register your local address, you will need to apply for an Aufenthaltserlaubnis. One thing to remember: just like a visa, a residence permit is issued only for pursuing a specific course of study at LMU. If you switch majors, interrupt your studies, or withdraw from the university, your permit may become invalid. Your permit may also be revoked if you can’t complete your studies within a reasonable and expected period of time.

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers detailed information on entry and residence for international students and scholars in Germany in German, English, and Spanish. If you don’t find your answer here, we suggest calling the KVR outside of visiting hours to keep things simple.