Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Working in Germany

Source: A Bruno /

Thinking of getting a job while you’re a student to top up your bank account or prepare for the future? We want to help make sure you understand all the rules and regulations before you start.

We offer a brief sketch of the policies here, but if you have any more questions, we recommend you check the information provided by the Bavarian State Ministry of Education, Science and the Arts, and consult the official offices that manage work done by international visitors: in Munich this is the international office Ausländerbehörde at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR). You can also take a look at the website of LMU’s Student Career Service.

EU and EEA Nationals

If you’re from the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, you have the same status as German students and can work as much as you want. If you work beyond certain time and wage limits, you do have to pay taxes, and your employer has to contribute to your insurance, so check the website of the Bundesagentur für Arbeit, the German Employment office, or ask the KVR (in German) for more information.

Other International Students

Since 2005, the international student residence permit allows students to do a certain amount of work without an additional work permit, but please check with the Bundesagentur für Arbeit, the German Employment office, or ask the KVR (in German) for more information because the conditions can change.


  • International students may work up to 120 working days or 240 half-days a year without an additional work permit. This is noted on the residence permit sticker in your passport.
  • International students who do not come from the EU cannot be self-employed or work freelance.
  • International students employed by their university as student assistants (Studentische Hilfskraft/HiWi) within the university or at affiliated institutes do not have time restrictions as long as their studies are not impaired. Nevertheless the International Office (Ausländerbehörde) at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) must be informed if you wish to work as an academic or student assistant!
  • Internships and jobs required by a degree program are also free from permit restrictions and are not counted as part of the 120 permit-free days.
  • Voluntary internships and other jobs that exceed 120 days have to be approved. Go to the KVR (in German) first, and they will give you further information.

Breaking the Law

The law is serious, and working without a permit, called Schwarzarbeit, is a huge risk. If you’re caught, you can easily lose your residence permit and be sent home. Please don’t do it! If you have questions, just ask.

For More Information

Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Amt für Ausländerangelegenheiten
Ruppertstr. 19
80337 Munich
U-Bahn U3 or U6 or Bus 31 to Poccistrasse

Offices for International Students:
Names beginning A– F, Room 1052, phone: +49 89 233 23016 or 233 23193
Names beginning G– O, Q, U, Room 1048, phone: +49 89 233 23327 or 233 20544
Names beginning P– Z (except Q, U), Room 1047, phone: +49 89 233 22894 or 233 20830

Monday – Thursday: 8:00am – 12:00pm; Friday: 7:00am – 12:00pm
Extended hours Tuesday: 2:00pm – 6:30pm; Tuesday mornings only by appointment
Wednesdays closed
Kreisverwaltungsreferat (website in German)

Job Listings

  • Student und Arbeitsmarkt is LMU’s career services office and also provides listings.
  • The Job-Börse, a job recruiting service for students, cooperates with the Studentenwerk to offer students and alumni one-day jobs, temporary, and sometimes longer-term employment. It operates a Jobcafe in the LMU Mensa building.
    Leopoldstrasse 13
    80802 Munich
    Tel.: +49 89 2731 2570
    Fax: +49 89 2731 2571
  • The DAAD provides several of its own links for finding jobs across Germany.

Further Reading on Regulations